Taking a bath is the activity that is fun and waited by baby because she can play with water. But, why baby always cries when she takes a bath? Does she have traumatic when she takes a bath?
Taking a bath is the romance activity between mom and child because there will be contact between mom and child. Mom with full of tenderness will wipe the body and clean the sweat that is in her body. Most babies feel happy when they take a bath because they can feel the softness of their mom and enjoy playing with water.
But some babies cry when they take a bath. Because they can’t speak, crying is the only way for them to express what they feel. Parent’s job is to interpret and understand the meaning of their crying. If you can’t understand, their crying will be lasting because there is no response from you. These are some factors that can make baby cries:
- Cold. The cold weather will make baby doesn’t feel comfortable when you put off her clothes and when she must go to the bath tub. Prepare warmth water and don’t let baby naked for long time. Just take a bath her and after finish, wear her clothes.
- The water is too hot. The carelessness in preparing water can cause baby cries because she is shocked or feels hurt because the water is too hot. Check the water condition with hand or elbow before you put her to the bath tub to make sure that the water is safe for her.
- Eyes irritation because of soap or shampoo. The using of soap or shampoo that is too much or not suitable with her age can endanger baby. Her eyes reflection has not been perfect to open and close by itself when there is water or soap or shampoo that pass by.
- There is water in her ears. If you don’t be careful water can enter to her ears when you take a bath her. Then she only cries to express what she feels about her ears.
- Her skin is hurt. Hurt because of the irritation or something scratches her can make her feels hurt when there is water pass her skin. So taking a bath becomes something not fun for her.
- There is no softness. If taking a bath activity is done rush and harsh so baby feels that she isn’t treated well. Anyone who takes a bath her, mom, grandma, or babysitter should take a bath her with full of tenderness.
The safe and fun taking a bath
In order to make taking a bath something fun and safe for your baby, some experts suggest these things:
- Prepare the bath tub that has suitable size for her. The right size will make you easier in taking a bath her and avoiding her from accident. Also prepare other things and also her clothes.
- Prepare enough warmth water to the bath tub. Make sure that the water is not too hot because baby’s skin is so sensitive with hot water. Check the warmth first using your hand or thermometer. Never put baby if water still flow because the temperature can change.
- Using the soft soap for baby so that it is secure for her skin. Using enough soap and avoiding scratching her because it will make her skin dry and sensitive. It is better to use liquid soap and make bubble from solid soap.
- Never use adult shampoo for baby. Choose shampoo that is suitable with her age and there is caution that it will not irritate her eyes so her eyes will not be irritated.
- Bring the safe toys for her. Choose the toys that are water proof and not too small so baby can’t swallow them. The rubber duck, ball, or plastic boat can be her friends while taking a bath. Taking a bath while playing is the fun activity.
- Play her music so it will become more fun. Ask her to play so the situation will become relax and full of fun so she has no reason to cry anymore.
- Do that in the comfortable and warmth room with the enough light. The dark room only makes her not comfortable.
- Ask her to talk. The physical contact is meaningless if you treat her as a dead creature. Ask her to talk though she doesn’t understand what you talk about. You are teaching her the basic technique in communicating and baby is learning to give respond to other people.
- Do it carefully when you wipe the soap and shampoo to her body. Start from the dirtiest area or the area that contains much sweat to the clean area.
- Do it with full tenderness. Tenderness and your patience when you take a bath her will make her comfortable. If your time is limited, tell the same thing to people who will take a bath her to always treat her with full of softness.
- After taking a bath, dry her with towel and wear her clean clothe so that baby feels comfortable.
Never leave her only for second!
Leaving baby alone with any reasons is the dangerous activity. Receiving phone, answering message, opening the door for guess, or turning off the stove are not the right reasons to leave baby alone. The dangerous that might happen is the bathtub will fall down because of her gesture and baby will slip because of the water, baby can also put shampoo or soap or her toys to her mouth, etc. if you must turn off the stove, it is better to carry her and cover her with towel then takes she out with you.
If you baby cries when she takes a bath, find out the cause because crying is her way to communicate what she feels. Accept her feeling and help her to find happiness when she takes a bath with you.