Children whose age are under 3 years old don’t like if their hair are washed. Maybe they remember when their eyes irritated because of shampoo or their mouth feel bitter because incidentally they lick shampoo from their mouth. It can be some of them are afraid of water – the temperature is not suitable – they are shocked because of the burst and the splash of water. They can be also afraid with the voice of the burst. It can also because their ego, they don’t like if someone touches their head.
In this case, we need some tricks to handle this problem so the washing hair activity can be fun. One of the ways is making this activity like a game. These are some tips for you. (Note: you must be ready to become wet with your children)
- In this age, child likes to imitate adult. She will be fun if she is given a chance to wash your hair. Remember to show fun and happy expression when your child puts shampoo and wipe your hair.
- This game can be done when you wetting your child’s hair before putting shampoo. Ask her to sit in her plastic chair, near or in the bath tub. Explain to her that you will play watering flower game. Squat and give her example how to be the dry and dirty flower because of the dust (express that you look tired, gloomy, and sad). Then ask her to water this ‘flower’. Then ask her to become the dry flower until her hair is enough wet to be put with shampoo. To make the situation more fun, sing songs with her.
- The doll with shampoo. In order to make her busy when you put shampoo on her hair, offer her whether she wants to wash her lion doll that has long hair or not (the doll will not be broken if it is wet). For this activity prepare 1 small shampoo bottle (or the bottle that has same size that you use but the amount is fewer than yours).
- The balloon bubble. This game can attract her attention. Though it is classic, it is effective. Almost all children like to watch the balloon bubble that appear from your hand. Whenever you feel your child is difficult to compromise, blow a bubble. But, be ready to wash her hair while you keep moving to follow her because she chases the bubble.
- Cow horns. When her hair (and your hair) has been sticky because of the shampoo, ask her, “Do you want to see cow horns?” Take few of her hair at the left and right side of her head then make it as horns. Please do the same thing with your hair, and then ask her to look at the mirror. After that say, “Here are the horns! How is the sound of cow? Mmmoooo
- Raining game. This game has same function with the watering plant game which is to wash her hair. The different is this raining game is done in the last step of washing hair activity. This activity is to wash her hair after you put shampoo. The way is just tell her “Let’s play raining game.” Squat and give the example how the rain falls to make your body wet. When the water makes you wet, say “Horraayyy, we play raining game!” or you can sing a song about rain. Then ask her whether she wants to play raining game or not.
- The melting snow. To attract her attention from the water that wash her hair, ask her to see the flow of shampoo foam that melt in her body, from the head to her feet, the floor, and disappear in the water waste, then say to her, “Woow, it is like snow that melt from the hill and tree.” Maybe your child splashes the snow at floor. It is dirty but it is okay. Before this activity ends, you can wash her body once again with clean water then you can cover her with the clean towel.
Finally this activity ends. Are you inspired to create another idea?
These are some tips to wash her hair.
- Prepare the equipments that you need. The warmth water, shampoo that doesn’t make her eyes irritated, the eyes protector (if it is possible choose the protector with her favorite color and pattern), watering can, the small plastic bag to wash (if it is possible buy her favorite color bag). This bag is to replace shower function. The soft napkin to wipe the water or foam that flow at her face, the dry towel to dry her hair after you wash it and don’t forget to bring her lovely toys.
- Give her explanation before the activity. You must avoid to lie or to shock her. For example, you just ask her to take a bath or play bubble but in reality you wash her hair. Give her a little bit explanation before this activity to make her usual with this activity and she doesn’t consider it as something frightening.
- Put few of shampoo. If it is not enough, just add it little by little. This way will avoid to make her head is full of shampoo foam. If you put too much shampoo, you will need more time to wash her hair and she will not like it.
- Become the dense team. You should explore and listening her aspiration. For example, “Who wants to be washed first? Your lion doll or you? Or “Do you want to get in the bath tub or sit in the plastic chair?”
- You wash her hair maximum twice a week. Though this activity is so fun, just wash her hair twice a week (if it is needed, only once a week. If you often wash her hair, it can disturb the oil level in her head skin and her hair.)
Though it will make you busy, if you want to enjoy it, it can be so fun!