The intellectual development of 2 years old baby makes her possible to appreciate songs that she listens. In this age she likes to repeat words and she can speak sentences that consist of 2-4 words. The most important thing is baby can hum moreover she can start singing.
Singing can be considered as the babies’ necessity, why?
Singing can fulfill babies’ necessity toward positive response. The babies need and very excited to get a lot of attention from adult people whom they love. Singing is a chance that is good for children. Most people always give good response to 2 years old babies who are singing although they sing not too well. Because adult people feel enthusiastic sometimes they consider this as a joke that can entertain them.
Singing can give chance for children to improve the language capability. Singing can give a chance for baby to repeat certain words or sentences. How can’t it be fun? A song is commonly fun to be enjoyed and repeated moreover if there is a melody. The situation will be fun if adult people also sing together, at the same time baby can also listen the wonderful voice of her mother. It is hard to be found that mothers sing when they are mad or sing badly.
Singing can sharpen the musical intelligent. This musical intelligent needs to be sharpened in the early childhood and singing is the easiest and cheapest way for that because it does not need anything. It only needs the children voice. By singing, children can treat their ears to be sensitive toward the low and high tune and also long and short tap.
Is that okay to let our children to sing any song with any ways? Of course not, these are some rules that can be followed so that singing can be useful activity for them.
- Choose happy songs. Children in this age are mostly energetic and need a lot of joy and spirit to explore their world. Because of that, introduce many happy songs. Songs that have slow melody are also good to be introduced so that they feel calm. For example songs those accompany children when they sleep and also religious songs.
- Choose the song that its lyric is easy to be understood. It’s better if the lyric consists of short sentences (max 4 words). The words have concrete meaning and based on the concept that children are still learning, for example concept about themselves, sound, measurement, color also shapes. Because 2 years old children are interested in animals, also introduce songs that tell about that creature for example old Mac Donald had a farm, Mary had a little lamb, or else.
- Postpone introducing songs that have abstract and absurd lyrics. Those kinds of songs are not useful for your children. Moreover, it can make them confused. It is not the right time for the 2 years old babies to know songs for adult people because it is meaningless.
- Keep your children from ‘dangerous songs’. Avoid to listen the songs that contains swearing or dirty words and also that criticize about religion, tribe. It is so pitiful if their memory must remember that kind of song.
- Teach singing in a polite way. Ask your children to sing in normal volume without shouting. Shouting can hurt their throat and also their ears. If you are singing with them give example how to take a breath from the nose exhale from the mouth and open the mouth quite wide so that the voice is clear. Don’t let they sing and eat at the same time because it can make them choke.
- Support your children to sing normally. If your children like singing by making some gestures, show them to make normal gestures that is suitable for them – not the gestures that are created by adult people. Restrain to laugh or give applause or positive response when they imitate the style of adult people that is not suitable for them.
- Introduce politeness. It is not wrong if our children have been taught to not sing in everywhere, for example when they pray, at marriage ceremony, or at funeral.
- Singing is healthy activity. So let the children sing as long as it can make them healthy.
Tips for singing with your baby.
- Sing slowly so that your children can join and imitate it.
- Choose easy songs, it is easy for us, and also for them. Remember the criteria of choosing songs.
- Step by step. If children can’t sing the song, ask them to hum or imitate with lalala sound. After they can hum, we can change the humming with words.
- Motivate your children to move based on songs. They can turn around, jump, walk on tip toes, or dance. Ask your baby to sing and move their hands or clap if they can’t jump, walk, or dance.
- Sometimes ask your children to sing with television. Play the TV program that shows songs for children in their age. Imitate the song that sung by the host so that your children want to sing.
If your baby has this sing talent then you should realize it and optimize it by providing all that she needs in developing her singing ability.