Basically, parents should know that baby’s needs are change according to their age. When baby is 6 months old, vitamins and minerals in their body are start to decrease and you have to add it from foods that are suitable to fulfill baby’s needs for vitamins and minerals.
The change of baby’s nutrition needs according to their age can you see at this following points:
- By 6 months
- Milk can fulfill the whole baby’s nutrition needs.
- At 6 months old, you can start to introduce the first solid food to the baby by using spoon.
- 6 to 9 months
- The foods should be able fulfill baby’s nutrition needs.
- The reservation of iron and zinc in the body are start to decrease, so you have to give your baby foods that are contain those minerals due to the significant role of iron and zinc. You can add two portions of fruits and/or vegetables to baby’s daily menu.
- 9 to 12 months
- Trying to give your baby three to four small portion of fruits and vegetables in a form of juice or that have been cooked. Also, give your baby small portion of starch-group food in every their feeding time, such as cereal, rice, potato, or pasta. Giving your baby two kind of protein foods, such as meat, fish, egg, bean, or cheese.
Here are the strategies in giving foods to your baby in order to get the right nutrition.
- Give your baby the slice of fruits or fresh vegetables as variation food. You can slice it, cut it, or refine the fruits or vegetables and mix it to the foods. You have to give an adequate fruits and vegetables everyday to your baby in order to acquire vitamin C that can’t be store in the body.
- Trying to make grains variation in baby’s foods and give it in small portion in every feeding time.You can give them porridge or rice cookie as a bread alternative in their lunch or rice , couscous, or millet as a pasta alternative.
- Fiber is very important to the health of excretion system, but too many consume fiber will cause vitamins and also minerals excreted fast before it is absorbed by digestion tract system. Giving your baby food that contains easily soluble fiber, such as fruits, vegetables, and havermut.
- Natural fats that are contained in milk, cheese, and other full-cream milk products can give high energy that is easily digested by body, besides it also can give your baby fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin A and D.
Baby’s nutrition needs is absolutely have to be fulfilled by consuming foods, because it profoundly affects baby’s development and also their intelligence. Try to be patient when your baby doesn’t easily receive their first solid food.