Do you ever realize that crawling in baby comes many benefits for them? Crawling movement requires baby to use their leg and the opposite hand simultaneously, which are moving the right hand with baby’s left leg, followed by the left hand with baby’s right foot, and so on. Such movement requires the use of both hemispheres of left and right brain in a complex neurological coordination. So, let your baby crawl freely, do not limit their mobility space, if you think it is needed then give your baby more space to develop many things of new skills besides her gross-motor skill.
Here are the lists of crawling benefits for baby:
- Crossing movement when baby is crawling will stimulate, strengthen and integrate two of hemispheres of the brain or in areas that are different in the brain. It will coordinate the use of both eye, ears, hands and feet simultaneously.
- Crossing movement also allows the two hemispheres of the brain are divided, store, and pulled back an important sensory information more quickly. Crawling is believed increasing the production of myelin, a substance that coats nerve cells. Myelin is a substance that helps in the process of sending and receiving messages more quickly and clearly.
- Stimulating the brain’s part of expressive.
- Stimulate tactile sensitivity (touch), visual sensitivity, and sensitivity to far-near.
- Strengthening baby’s neck, arms, joints and muscles.
- Helping the development and understanding of baby’s language, because the baby is stimulated to use both ears simultaneously, and developed the hearing of both ears.
- Repeated movement when crawling will stimulate, organize and develop the brain’s neural network connections in baby. As a result, the brain will be more efficient in controlling cognitive processes such as understanding, concentration and memory.
- Strengthening the groups of large and small muscles, thus will make baby’s gross and fine-motor skill smoother.
- Supporting eye-hand coordination, strength, muscle tension, balance and finger skills.
Crawling has many benefits for our baby. A doctor in the United States conducted a research about the effects of crawling for the next baby’s life. The results were really surprising that baby categorized walk early, the baby who just crawl in a short time before he began walking, reaching values lower on the test’s ability to pre-school.