Baby’s ability to grasp is the first step of hands and eyes coordination. Grasping ability is fundamental for writing, eating, drawing, and self-sufficiency training skills. Along with aging process and coordination skill, grasping reflexes possessed by baby tend to decrease and get controlled. Following are baby’s development stages in grasping object:
- Born until 2 months. The newborn has not been able to reach desired objects but he/she has reflex ability of grasping firmly any object which is touched to his/her palms. Entering 2 months of age, baby tries to hold any object he/she can reach such as hair, earring or necklace worn by mother.
- 3 months of age. Hands and eyes coordination get better. He/she has shown interest on something and tries to reach object he/she want. Colorful Floor Gym toys are very appealing for child at this age since in lying position he/she is eager to try reaching toy object hanging over him/her.
- 4 to 6 months of ages. At 4 months of age, babies have been able to hold bigger object such as block. But they have not been skilled enough to grasp smaller object such as peanut. At this age, they are usually collecting any objects surrounding them and putting it into their mouth.
- 9 months to 12 months of age. At this age, they have been skilled in grasping object and able to use their hands well.
Provide stimulation on baby grasping ability
Any reflexes possessed by baby since birth should be stimulated to improve his/her ability. If baby grasping reflex ability is frequently stimulated then his/her fine motor will be stronger, thus they will be better prepared when come period to writing or drawing. How should we stimulate baby grasping ability? Take a look following tips:
- Don’t to hurry up help him/her whether he/she gets trouble or immediately gives something he/she wants to reach. Let him/her try by his/her self to obtain it.
- Stimulate him/her with various toys that have interesting color to attract baby to reach them such as play gym or rattles.
- Place toys in reachable distance from baby. Provide challenges in accord with his/her ability but don’t make him/her get frustrated.
- Give various toys or objects so he/she can try to hold and learn on various objects with different shape, texture and color.
- Along with his/her aging process, he/she will learn to improve hand and eyes coordination to hold heavy and light object, big and small, rough and smooth, and so on.
- Ensure the safety of object or toys he/she hold. Avoid him/her from toxic matter and don’t make that object get swallowed by baby.
The abilities of each baby in mastering skills are different. Stimulus provided by environment is very influencing his/her development stages. Each baby developed according to his development paths and if you are forcing him/her too hurry it just make their achievement delayed. The better things that you can do is by always provide stimulation to train his/her hand skill and let him/her find his/her own way.
In order to stimulate Baby’s Motor Growth then you can use several tools as follows:
- Play gym. Various types and brands of this toy are available in market. By appealing colors, sometimes equipped with pedestal and music, this toys are designed to stimulate baby’s vision and motor coordination and also can stimulate auditory and also to recognize color.
- Rattle. Some are made from plastic or soft cloth material. Some release music sound when get pushed, some had filled with small particles to give sensation when it get touched.
- Soft book. The simple story book made from soft cloth, beside it can stimulate child motor it is also introducing texture and vocabulary.
- Soft ball. With various motives, soft and tender material, helping to stimulate children motor.
- Bean bag. It is cloth bag or doll filled with peanuts or grains. Children very like to squeeze this toy.
Hopefully this article about Grasping Ability Development in baby could make us realize to always giving grasping stimulation to our baby.