High fever with red spots on the skin is the symptoms of chicken pox. The difference between chicken pox and allergy that is caused by sweat is for the allergy, the sufferer doesn’t suffer from high fever. Dr John Pillinger said that chicken pox is caused by paramyxovirus and this illness is easy to be spread of. Anyone who has never infected by this illness can be infected.
The beginning symptom of this illness is hard to be detected since it is almost same with influenza symptoms. The sufferer of this illness usually has cough and influenza for two days. After that the sufferer will have high fever and the temperature is about 40oC. The sufferer will feel painful, the eyes look reddish, and the red spot will appear on the skin for seven days. Usually after red spots appear, the temperature of the fever will be decreased.
If chicken pox is with complication such as pneumonia virus, ears sore, trombositopenia, and brain infection, it needs intensive care because the temperature of high fever will not be decreased. It is suggested to take the sufferer to the hospital. If we are late to take to the hospital, the sufferer can die.
Treatment at House.
If chicken pox is not with serious complication, we can take care of him or her at home. However, parents should be careful in treating the children. There are several ways to take care children at home:
- Parents should consult with the doctor to get the right information and treatment. Give medicine based on doctor’s guidance.
- Isolation. Children who suffer from chicken pox must be separated from other people especially pregnant woman and baby. It is because the virus is easy to be spread of. The children must be isolated for 4 days after the red spots appear. We also have to separate the utensils that sufferer use such as: food utensils, pillow, blanket, and clothes in order to minimize the risk of other people can be infected.
- Bed Rest. To recover the condition of sufferer, they should take a rest and not leave home for several days. With intensive bed rest, the sufferer can recover from the illness. Besides, if sufferer is still weak, he or she is easy to be infected by other virus. So, it is suggested for children to stay at home. The risk to infect of other people can also be minimized.
- Give health foods. Children who suffer from chicken pox are difficult to be treated. It is because they feel painful and itchy on their skin. They also feel lazy to eat or drink. Parents should be creative to prepare foods for them so they can enjoy their foods. Give enough nutrition and avoid foods that can cause cough such as: candies, chocolate, and fried foods.
- Help to reduce itchy by cleaning their bodies regularly. Use warmth water and soap to clean them.
- Give immunization.
Based on World Health organization, chicken pox is one of the causes of children’s death in the world. In 2008, there were 164.000 deaths that were caused by chicken pox. It means almost 450 deaths happened everyday or 18 deaths every hour. More than 95% death that is caused by chicken pox happens in development country with weak health infrastructure. This data is so apprehensive and it makes parents should be aware so that chicken pox does not make our children die. Are there any ways to prevent it?
WHO recommends giving immunization to prevent chicken pox. From the research that was done by WHO shows that immunization has successfully decreased 78% death that is caused by chicken pox in all around the world since 2000 until 2008. This immunization is given when children are 9 months old and it is repeated when children are in first level of elementary school. We should be aware of this immunization and always check the immunization schedule for our children. Based on WHO, baby who has not been given immunization has a higher risk to be infected. So, why we must delay to give immunization? It is better to prevent than to cure illness, isn’t it?