Cradle at baby caused by Seborrheic Dermatitis which means there is inflammation at the area that has most oil gland. Seborrheic Dermatitis beside in skin head can also occur at face area and body signed with the dry skin, the yellow cradle, with itchy and it comes temporary. The cause of Seborrheic Dermatitis is not known yet but it assumed that this process happened because the active oil gland. Seborrheic Dermatitis is related with the active oil gland at the baby who was just born and it will not be active for 9-2 months because the androgen hormone or pregnancy hormone stimulation stoped.
Not all skin head disorder at baby is Seborrheic Dermatitis. Other disorders are: Impetigo at skin head and abscess where there is not layer like dandruff; Dermatitis Atopic which is signed with the inflammation and reddish skin; Psoriasis where there is no wax layer at skin and Tinea Capitis that is caused by fungus. In Tinea Kapitis there is scaly but there is not cradle.
The baby who was just born usually suffers from cradle cap which is the light form Seborrheic Dermatitis. Cradle cap caused by the fat layer forming process at the baby who was just born or the hormone influence when mom was pregnant that flowed at baby’s body when the baby was still in the womb. The dust that is around the hair sticks at the oily skin head and as time goes by there will be cradle. The symptoms that are seen are the reddish layer or yellowish layer like dandruff in skin head and eye. This disorder can be spread to the neck, in the back of ears, nose, mouth, chest and armpit. This cradle is straight and symmetric. If those areas are chapped, they are easily can be infected by secondary infection of fungus ad bacteria.
Is it dangerous?
After the age is 9-12 months, the androgen hormone will stop and the production of oil gland will decrease. It is not as much as in the beginning of the giving birth process. So the cradle cap will stop by itself. Though it is not dangerous, parents should keep the skin clean because if you let it, it will become infection. If the cradle is released forcely by fingers which are not hygiene can cause the infection. The open hurt is easily infected by germs so it can cause fester. The baby will feel itchy and the head doesn’t smell good. The baby appearance is not funny anymore. The worst thing is the baby will be avoided by people around her.
The way to handle
To avoid the skin infection, parents should do treatment since the symptoms of cradle appear at baby head. As long as it has been not infected, the treatment is easy and simple. These are some tips to handle cradle at baby.
- Clean the skin head by the coconut oil or baby oil and massage it.
- Wait for a while so the cradle will be soft.
- Comb the baby hair softly so the cradle will be easily released.
- Wash the hair with soft shampoo.
- Don’t release forcely the cradle that still sticks.
- Do it routinely so the skin head will be clean from the cradle.
- If baby’s hair is thick, cut it. If it is needed, cut it until bald to avoid hair loss and the dirt that sticks on hair.
- Avoid the head cover like cap or headscraf that makes baby sweat.
- Avoid direct contact of sun light at baby’s head so she will not sweat.
- Don’t give powder at head skin because it will make the cradle thick.
- Don’t wash baby’s hair with warm water because it makes the head humid. If it is seen reddish, there is fester, and it doesn’t smell good, take the baby to doctor for getting treatment.
- If it is seen more reddish, there is more fester, and the smell is getting worst, soon take the baby to the doctor for getting treatment.
It is better to prevent than to cure. You don’t need to be worried if there is cradle cap in baby’s head. Do the treatment carefully, so she will be beautiful again.