Pneumonia is the lungs inflammation that usually caused by infection. The three causes of pneumonia are bacteria, virus, and fungi. The people who are risky in suffering this illness are children whose age under 2 years old and older people.
The symptoms of this disease are various; it can be taking breath so fast or failure at breathing system. It can be the low blood tension or it is known as shock septic. If pneumonia happens after baby was born, the symptoms will appear gradually. Sometimes baby can be suddenly sick and her body temperature is up and down.
But the general symptoms of pneumonia are fever, cough, hard to take breath, and fast pulse. It is like the symptoms of other disease right? Because of that, you have to make sure by asking the diagnose from the doctor.
The diagnose of pneumonia will be clearly seen if:
- It will be heard the noise when she takes breath and if it is checked by stethoscope will be heard soft sound.
- The roentgen result will show there is white area at the left or right lung.
- It is detected that there is bacteria or fungi in sputum. Unfortunately this test is difficult to be done at children.
- The blood test will show the increasing of leukocyte amd it is dominated with netrofil for pneumonia that caused by bacteria infection. If the increasing leukocyte is dominated with limfosit it is possible that virus is the cause of pneumonia.
Must be taken care at hospital? It depends on the pneumonia and the physical condition at baby. Generally, baby needs to take care at hospital if she suffers from hard and serious pneumonia and this makes her weak.
- Hard and serious pneumonia is signed with cough and hard to take breath. Baby seems pull her stomach deeply when she takes a breath.
- Very hard and serious pneumonia is signed with cough, hard to take breath and central sianosis symptom. The chest or baby’s stomach and also her tongue become blue and she is hard to drink.
Short winded because of pneumonia is different with asthma. At pneumonia, the difficulty in taking breath happened when baby inhales. Whereas at asthma the difficulty in taking breath when baby exhales.
The Manual of breath frequency calculation
- Child Age: 0–2 months – Normal Breath: 30–50 per minute – more than 60 per minute
- Child Age: 2-12 months – Normal Breath: 25-40 per minute – more than 50 per minute
- Child Age: 1-5 years – Normal Breath: 20-30 per minute – more than 40 per minute
When baby is taken care at hospital, she will be given oxygen and antibiotic, there is also infuse that is set at her for supplying food and liquid. The oxygen must be given to help the circulation to the lungs. The antibiotic which is given depends on the bacteria and the type of germs at hospital where she is taken care. For pneumonia that is caused by fungi, she will be given anti fungi.
Avoid it! The risk of suffering from pneumonia is because the weak body immune system, the unhealthy environment, the bad nutrition, or immunization factor. Because of that, it needs full recovery to avoid pneumonia. It means we should create the strong body immune system since earlier. One of the ways is by keeping the balance nutrition, enough rest, and exercise regularly. Giving mother’s milk proven can decrease the possibility from suffering pneumonia at baby and toddler. Besides, at child whose age is still under 1 year old should be given the complete basic immunization so her body immune system becomes well. One of the recommended immunizations to avoid pneumonia is HiB (Haemophilus Influenzae type B) dan pneumokokus. This immunization is given 3 times in one year.