When you see your child suffers from fever, parent often feels worried and confused. How is the right way to cure fever?
When your child temperature is warmth or almost hot and it is not like usual, you might guess that your child suffers from fever. Actually what is the standard that can be used when your child suffers from fever? It depends on her temperature. Child suffers from fever if her temperature, measured by temperature from anal, is more than 38oC.
For the health child, fever doesn’t indicate something serious. Though this situation is frightful for parent, the fever itself is not dangerous and it is a good signal because this condition is the way for body to defense infection and not all fever must be cured. But high fever can make her uncomfortable and can cause dehydration, this kind of fever must be anticipated.
However parent must be aware if you see that your child suffers from fever because this condition can be sign that your child has health problem that must be cured. For the beginning step you can do this at home.
The right way to cure Fever in Children
These are the right ways to cure fever:
- First: parent shouldn’t be panic in facing child who suffers from fever.
- Second: if child wants to drink, give her drinks quite much than usual. In fever condition, the liquid will be put off from body through skin because there is evaporation process. This is because body lacks of liquid.
- Third: parent can give medicine that can decrease the temperature that is recommended by pediatrician. Drink the medicine based on the doctor’s instruction.
- Fourth: if there is no changing after she drinks medicine, it is better to take her to the doctor or any health facilities. You need to know that there is no difference in treating fever based on the age as long as the sufferer is still at home. While at hospital, the age grouping is for investigating the cause of fever based on the age.
May compress child?
The traditional way in treating fever at home is by compressing child. But, is it allowed? Yes it is. The right way to compress her is using warmth water (29.4oC -32.2oC) these are the right ways to compress her:
- Give the medicine that can decrease the hot temperature 30 minutes before you compress her.
- Compress her using towel that has been wet with warmth water (29.4oC -32.2oC) and you have drained it. Wipe it on her body, hand, and leg.
- Don’t use cold water or alcohol to compress because alcohol will be absorbed by skin or inhaled through breathing and it can cause comma.
The right way to measure the temperature
There are some ways that can be done to measure the body temperature. There are some things that you should concern when your child suffers from fever:
- Measure her temperature, it is better to use quicksilver thermometer minimum 2 minute (if digital thermometer only 1 minute) on her anal if she is under 3 years old. If your child is above 3 years old, put it on her mouth.
- When she suffers from fever, she becomes fussy or there is the disturbance in her consciousness or she stiffs, take her to the doctor.
- You can give her medicine that can decrease the temperature based on doctor’s suggestion.
- Compress her with warmth water like the explanation above.
The Cause of Fever in Children
The causes of fever are various and it based on the age. Mainly the cause of fever is there is infection in breathing tract, ears, urine or digest system, etc.
So right now, you don’t need to be panic when you face your child who suffers from fever. You just do the steps right that mentioned above. Don’t ignore the possibility that you need to take her to the doctor or hospital.