2,5 years old is the right time to introduce manner for kids because in this age, they can be asked to communicate in 2 ways though it is still simple and their memory still improves. Manner actually has been taught at the previous age but don’t expect too much because in that age the memory capability of a kid is so short and they are still busy of the base skill like walking, jumping, while the language skill and their understanding are still limited.
10 Manner Basis for Kids
Based on Dr. Dave M.D. and Dr. Dee, PhD in Advice with Dr Dave and Dr. Dee, there are 10 manner basis that should be introduced by parents to kids:
- Wait the turn to speak and don’t interrupt other’s conversation. Listen carefully when they speak and don’t interrupt their conversation. Teach kids to ask after other people finish their conversation.
- Call people in a good way. Call the people with the unreal name like ‘the shy, the thin, and the black’ though it is only for joking, it can disturb and hurt people feeling.
- Greet the guess who visits your house. Teach them with moral value that is followed in family about how to greet guess, it can be like saying greeting, shaking hands, or just saying halo or hi to the guess who visits your home.
- Say the word, ‘please’, ‘help’, ‘sorry’, and ‘thank you’ as the appreciation to other people. ‘Please’ is said to give chance for other people politely while the word ‘help’ is said when we need help from others. ‘Thank you’ is said when we receive help from others. Then, if people thank to us, make yourself usual to say ‘you’re welcome’. And the word ‘sorry’ is said when we do wrong thing at others.
- Be responsible for always being clean. Wherever we are, at our house or at others’ house, must always be responsible in cleaning all the stuff after doing activity. You begin with clean condition and finish it in clean condition.
- Be sportive. In a game that there is possibility of win or lose like playing ball or card, teach them to be always humble and not arrogant when they win the game and also to not be mad when they lose.
- Response other’s advice with humble heart. If someone gives compliment, say thanks and not to be arrogant. In contrast, the critics from other people must not be responded in sadness but with the humble heart.
- Open the door for others. The simple helping like that has meaning for others mainly for older people and sick people. Teach kids to say thanks if someone do that thing for us.
- The exit and enter manner. Before entering a room, building, or lift, teach kids to let other people come to the room first.
- Appreciate differences. Show to them that in outside there are so many differences like culture, religion, hobby, etc. Teach them to appreciate those differences.
The manner basis above will be taught step by step based on children development. The limited communication capability at 2,5 years old child makes parents should be wise in choosing simple sentence that easily understood by kids. There is no special session for teaching manner for kids but the lesson is taken from the habit that is shown by parents in daily life.
Be a Good Example
Don’t be late in teaching manner at kids. The earlier we teach manner, the more skilled social capability at kids. Start from small things that close with kids. Anything that parents do is lesson for kid. What is said, what is done, what is gossiped and what things that become parents attention are always be in child’s investigation. When children are already 2,5years old, children will be likely to imitate adults that are surrounding them.
How parents treat servant, driver, neighbor, relatives at home always concerned by kids. Don’t expect children can talk politely to servant or driver if in daily life parents often say rude words to them. Don’t expect that children can talk and behave politely to others if parents often say rude and swearing words to others. Don’t expect children want to wait the turn or respect others if parents never give chance for kids to state their opinion. Be a good example for children. Because like the proverb like father like son.
Dear parent, manner lesson is whole life lesson because manner is something that always follows us in daily life. There is no difficulty if we want try hard. Better parents, better generation.