Back to the office doesn’t mean you have to stop giving your breast milk to your baby. But, how to make the breast milk savings keep fresh until it is consumed by baby? For that purpose you have to know about the Breast Milk Storage.
Savings my Breast Milk, Breast Milk Storage
One of solution to the problem of career mother that have passion to keep giving her breast milk exclusively to baby is saving her breast milk. If mother had save breast milk before she went to work, then her absence at house will not be an obstacle to keep giving breast milk to baby. Even, the breast milk savings can be prepared far before she back to work. Use your maternity leave wisely to prepare breast milk savings for your beloved one by expressing it using breast pump. To gain more breast milk savings, mother should keep her healthy by consuming healthy foods, especially foods comprise of vegetables and beans. In this case, mother should know better about the technique of breast milk expressing. After back to work, continue to express the breast milk in the office, because if you don’t express them then your breasts will be swollen and later it won’t produce breast milk anymore.
Expressed Breast Milk Storage should be Correct
In order to keep the breast milk savings keep fresh, the storage technique should be correct. Here are tips on how to store the breast milk as it is suggested by American Academy of Pediatric (Breast Milk Storage Guidelines):
- Store the Breast Milk in place that the material having high quality. Here is the order of the material based on its quality: stainless steel, glass, hard plastic, and soft plastic.
- Give the breast milk label to every package about its date, and time.
- If the breast milk will be given in about 6 to 8 hours, then it still can be kept in the room temperature until 250o.
- If the breast milk will be given in 24 hours, store it inside the cooler bag with the temperature between 15oC and 40o C
- If the breast milk will be given to baby in less than 6 days, store it inside the refrigerator.
- If the breast milk will be given in 2 weeks, store the breast milk inside the freezer that is installed with refrigerator.
- If the breast milk is planned to be stored for 3 to 4 months, store it in the two-doors freezer, it means that the door in which breast milk savings are placed in it is rare to be opened.
- If the breast milk is planned to be stored for 6 to 10 months, store it in the special freezer, so that it won’t be mixed with another stuff.
- If the breast milk will be thawed, then move the savings one night before it will be given to the refrigerator.
- First in First Out. Take the breast milk saving according to its time order when it was started to be stored.
But, when mother is in the house, it is much better that she breastfeeds the baby directly. The reason is the direct breastfeeding is irreplaceable with bottle feeding of any brand. When mother is breastfeeding baby happily, it will be formed the tight emotional bonding between mother and baby. The needs for sense of security, comfort, affection, and joy that baby gets when she is breastfed by her mother will make baby having positive personality and full of confident.
Hopefully, this article about Breast Milk Storage could help you in storing your expressed breast milk.