You don’t need to worry that your twins may not get proper amount of breast milk. Your body will learn to provide milk equals to baby’s demand. Breastfeeding Twins is something that you need to adapt if you want to be success.
Comfort during breastfeeding is really important for the continuity of lactation process. Prepare yourself way before the day itself.
- Consider if you would like to breastfeed the twins in the same time or in turns. Moreover when you chose Caesarian section.
- Choose a comfortable position. Use the pillows, rocking chairs with arms and backrest to support your head.
- Firstly, Breastfeed the Twins in turns. By so, you will have the chance to know their each ‘style’ of suckling and can devote full attention and love to each of them.
- After you are skillful enough to handle, carry and position yourself and the babies, then you can try to Breastfeed the Twins at the same time.
Foremilk or Hind milk. Every baby must get foremilk, which is breast milk that comes at the first 5 minutes and hind milk which comes out after foremilk. Hind milk contains fat 4-5 times more than foremilk which is more filling for the babies.
- If you breastfeed twins at the same time, it means that each baby is breastfed 20-30 minutes at the minimum at the same breast, for example one baby is at the right breast for 30 minutes and the other one is at the left for 30 minutes.
- If you breastfeed the twins in turns, then after the first baby is breastfed at the left breast, the second one is breastfed at the right breast.
3 Positions in Breastfeeding Twins
Breastfeeding twins is not an easy job. Pick the most comfortable position since comfort is really important in the continuity of lactation process. Choose one of these three positions according to your and your babies comfort.
- The Cradle Hold
- Hug both baby with their head placed on the curve of your elbow. The head of baby who suckles the right breast is placed on the curve of your right elbow and his/her buttocks at the palm of your right hand. Do the opposite if the baby suckles on the left breast.
- Move your baby’s body, so that the baby’s ear is in one straight line with baby’s hand which is on top (baby lying sideways).
- The Clutch or Football Hold
- Prop up both of the baby’s head by the palm of your hand, while their body tucked under your hands (like holding a ball or handbag). If you breastfeed your baby with the right breast, then you’ll hold it with your right hand. And vice versa.
- Place your hands on a pillow on your lap or on the side, then prop the shoulders, neck and head of both baby with both of your hands. Point your baby’s mouth towards the nipple. Let your feet sticking to the back.
- Joint HoldYou can breastfeed one baby with cradle hold, and the other one with football hold. Do it in turns.
Breastfeeding is not an easy task to be done, moreover breastfeeding twins. But, hopefully this article could help you to reach the success in Breastfeeding Twins.