Just at the moment infant born and his/her placenta incised, he/she is not necessarily to be swaddled or cleaned, put baby in your stomach so she/he crawls looking for your nipples. This process is called early breastfeeding initiation (EBI). Don’t worry about baby to be chilled as your skin can adapt with your infant needs. If delivery ward felt so cool you may blanket him/her or use your baby hat.
At least there are 3 stages of infant behavior in EBI:
- First Stage, in first 30 minutes infant stands by, looking at you sometimes and adapting him/her self to environment.
- Second Stage, 30-40 minutes, the newborn sounds like sucking movement, entering his/her hand to mouth, expelling saliva, and his/her feet push your stomach to reach your breasts.
- Third Stage, the newborn licks your skin, touch your nipple by hand, pounds your breasts by his/her head, turns his/her head to right and left, once finding your nipple he/she will lick and suck it, open his/her mouth and adhere well.
There are several things to bear in mind that if in one hour EBI process has not been “success”, close the infant to your nipple but never enter your nipple to his/her mouth, just provide 30 minutes or 1 hour more. However important EBI is, you and your infant should be in stable condition. In this case, physician will take an examination.
Several benefits of EBI are following:
- It is good start for 6-month exclusive breastfeeding since newborn will like breast milk and you will be conditioned to breast feed immediately. Success of breastfeeding will be optimum.
- It will prevent infant mortality. Infant will prevent from hypothermia (chilling) because there is skin contact between baby and mother. Research by Karen Edmond from England identified that 22% baby mortality under 28 days age could be prevented by EBI and of 16% if baby was breasted since his/her first day.
- Baby will get colostrums of breast milk which is rich in antibody – anti infection matter and the important matter for baby intestine.
- Infant’s crawling movement looking for mother nipple will push uterus to expel hormone which help in stopping maternal bleeding.
Hopefully this information on Early Breastfeeding Initiation could enrich your knowledge about baby.