Giving breast milk to baby is an important thing to do. We have known that the composition of breast milk is the greatest for baby. It also can be absorbed by baby easily. But, breastfeeding could be harmful for your baby if there are some problems including baby and mom’s health problem. If there are serious health problems, breast milk isn’t allowed to be given to baby. For details, you must stop breastfeeding when the conditions are:
- Stop breastfeeding when mother has serious health problems such as heart diseases, kidney, serious anemia, and mother with too low weight body. The process of milk production needs fat in the body, and it is certainly hard to be occurred if mother is in too low weight body.
- Stop breastfeeding when mother had heavy infection such as AIDS, TBC, Hepatitis B. For the case of Hepatitis B you may giving suck to your baby if you had be given Gamma globulin and hepatitis vaccine while your pregnancy.
- Mother had ever breast cancer surgery. You need to confirm about it to your doctor. But, doctor commonly suggest you to wait about 3-5 years after surgery to get pregnant and may giving suck to baby.
- Mother who consume medicines regularly, especially medicines that contain substances such as anti thyroid, anti cancer, hypersensitive medicines (sedative medicines).
- Mother who had drug abuse such as amphetamine, barbiturate, heroin, methadone, cocaine, marijuana, and others.
- Mother who consume too much caffeine and alcohol must stop breastfeeding too.
- Breastfeeding also had to stopped when baby has metabolic disrupt such as intolerance to lactose so that the baby difficult to assimilate breast milk.
- There is an abnormality in baby’s mouth so that he difficult to suck. But, for this situation, the doctor may handle it by doing surgery to baby’s mouth so that he could be breastfed.
For those situations I’ve mentioned above, mother must stop breastfeeding to her baby. If you have to give formula milk to your baby, make sure the composition of formula milk is almost closes to milk’s composition. Do not forget to give that formula milk with cuddle, and full of affection, it’s very important to make strong bonding between you and your baby.