If you don’t feel stomach upset and you don’t feel that you will give birth, Caesarean surgery can be the solution. But there are many pregnant women who still want to give birth normally. So, the induction can be the solution. Induction is also done to avoid dangerous complication like the emerged situation in fetus or the size of baby is too big.
Listening the word ‘induction’ mom will imagine frightened situation of the long painful feeling. Is that true that induction can be so painful? What is actually induction? Why must induction be done?
The meaning of Induction
Induction is the stimulation trial to start the giving birth process (because mom doesn’t show the signs of giving birth process). This way is done as the medical trial to ease the fetus can come out from the uterus normally.
Here are the conditions in which the Induction must be done:
- Mom doesn’t feel contraction or his. Actually the pregnancy has been in the period of delivery process or the age of the fetus has been more than 9 months.
- Induction can also be done because the condition of mom that is not healthy. For example is mom suffers from high blood pressure, or has serious infection, or suffers from diabetes.
- The size of fetus is too small, if mom lets it too long in her uterus, it will risk the condition of the fetus.
- The fetal membrane is broken before the signs of birth delivery process appear.
- Placenta comes out before the baby is born.
But this way also has several risks that might happen:
- There are too much contraction. That is why induction must be done under doctor’s supervision. If mom feels so painful, the doctor usually stops the induction process then the Caesarean surgery will be done.
- The fetus will not feel comfortable so it can cause the urgent situation at the fetus (it can be stressed). That is why doctor will see the fetus movement through cardiotopografi as long as the induction process is done. If it is too risky, the induction process will be stopped.
- It can tear the mark of Caesarean surgery stitch. This can happen at mom who had Caesarean surgery before then she wants to give birth normally.
- Emboli. Though the possibility is rare but mom must be careful. Emboli happens when the broken fetal membrane water enters the blood vessels and also to the mom’s brain or lungs. If it is happened, it can cause death at mom.
The Induction Process
There are two ways that are usually done by doctor to start the induction process which are the chemical and mechanic. But basically, these two ways are done to make the prostaglandin out from mom’s body. This substance has function to make the uterus muscles contract.
By chemical way, mom will be given special medicine. It can be drunk, inserted to the vagina, inserted through the infus, or it is sprayed to the nose. Usually, not long after the chemical way is done, mom will feel contraction.
In mechanic way, it is also usually done several ways like using stripping method, vibrator, cateter, and breaking the fetal membrane
Is it painful?
The contraction caused by induction will be felt more painful because it happens in sudden. That is why the birth delivery in induction way needs medicine to cure the pain.