Toddler needs sleep longer, because when they are sleeping there is stimulation happened for toddler’s development in which the brain development reaches its peak caused by 75% of growth hormones are secreted. When toddler is sleeping, all of body cells, including muscle, skin, bone, liver, kidney, blood vein, brain, and body metabolism, they experience rapid recovery and growth. The growth of hormones when toddler is sleeping reaches 3 times more rapid than when they are awakened. Therefore, toddler needs sufficient time for sleeping in order to make their development reached optimally.
Besides that, sleep is also functioned to rest their body activity for a while and also for spur the physics development, such as body weight and height. Therefore, you have to watch for toddler sleeping in order to avoid from losing of the important moments of toddler’s development.
Sleeping Issues in Baby
When baby was just birth, baby spends their most time to sleep. Along with baby’s age increasing, their sleeping time is decreased because their skill is getting developed, be it physical, emotional, and cognitive. When baby entering the age of 1 year, they need to sleep less than 13 hours per day. But, several babies are hard to sleep or often awakened at night. Here are the causes of it:
- Baby’s new skill makes her excited to explore that skill at daytime. Thus, it will make baby forget about her sleeping schedule, so that at night baby keeps want to do exploration.
- It is noise around the house environment. Many activities take place inside or outside your house will make baby is hard to sleep. So, it is better for parents to keep the environment around the house quiet.
- Less stimulation at daytime. If baby doesn’t get enough stimulation at daytime, then she will spend the time to sleep.
- Look for attention. When baby able to know and to have proximity with someone (for example, her father and mother, then she will wait the moment in which she can meet with her parents. If they work outside and always got home at night, then baby will find the pattern when the time is her parents will come, and baby will to wait to meet her parents.
- Hungry: Baby who sleeps in not full condition will be often awakened at night. They don’t want to disturb the parents, but they want their parents to cure their hunger.
- Uncomfortable Situation: Wet diapers or sweaty clothes make baby feel uncomfortable and want her clothes to be changed with the new one.
- Sick: Just like an adult, if baby is in sick condition then she won’t sleep well at night. Whether you like it or not, you have to face it since it can only be handled if baby has recovered and getting better.
Here are some suggestions from the experts in order to overcome baby who is difficult to sleep well at night:
- Assure that your baby’s room is comfort. It should be warm and fun for baby, roomy and not too hot. Also, the lighting do not be too bright. If inside the room there is Air Conditioner installed, then you have to routinely open the window in order to circulate the air inside the room so that the fresh air outside can change the air inside.
- Set baby’s sleeping pattern. Introduce to your baby about the difference between daytime and night, so that you can establish the right sleeping habit according to the schedule you made. If you make this activity to be the routine one, then your baby will follow it since basically baby likes to do routine activities.
- Clean up the body of your baby by using warm water before she gets sleeping. It surely can make her to sleep tight at night. To make everything perfect, you can do storytelling to your baby in relax atmosphere by, for example, turn the soft music on.
- Give your baby sufficient stimulation at daytime, so that baby don’t spend most of her time to sleep at that daytime. Ask her to playing, singing, or talking so that she keeps awaking, when at night your baby will feel very sleepy.
- Don’t be panic if your baby is awakened at midnight. Calm yourself down, then softly ask your baby to go back to sleep, you can pat her back or hum a lullabies.
Remember how important sleeping for baby, then let us help baby to be having the right sleep pattern at night.