A problem for every new mother is to adjust time with the baby’s daily habit whether it is for sleep, eating, playing, etc. However, those things are simply manageable. Baby also needs to get introduced on the Routines or orderly schedule as early as possible.
Here are 7 tips to help the schedule and activities of mother and baby to go side by side and not to disturb the personal activity of mother:
- Teach baby sleeping schedule. Newborns spend most of their time sleeping. But slowly, baby can be taught a sleeping schedule in order to fulfill his nutrition needs though breast milk. If necessary, after baby sleeps for 3-4 hours, wake baby up to have the breast milk.
- Teach baby to differ night and day. It is to support the introduction for sleeping schedule. In the morning, open the window in order to get the sunlight shine across the room or take baby outside to see the bright daylight and the active atmosphere surrounding. At night, turn off the light and create a silent dim atmosphere.
- Learn baby’s ‘sign language’. Naturally, baby will give you signal of what he needs through the ‘sign language’. For example, when hungry, he will move his mouth as if he suckling. His cries are also different when he’s hungry and when he wants his diaper changed.
- Prioritize the baby’s schedule. For first 2-3 week of schedule implementation, avoid deviation in order to get the baby understand the pattern of activity you established. This will be the basic pattern for baby to recognize the next development on schedule as he grows up.
- Get ready for change. In the first year, there will be many changes and development of ability a baby achieves. All this will make baby hungry more often that it will whether you want it or not change the meal schedule.
- Make it appropriate to the age. The ongoing development of baby will make you keep changing the adjustment of schedule and activities. For example, baby’s nap time at noon will be shorter since he’ll be more into playing.
- It doesn’t have to be perfect. Be flexible, mothers, since the schedule you made won’t go perfectly as written. The schedule for snack today can be passed since the baby is full already and sleep longer nap. While yesterday, since the baby woke up earlier, the snack time became early as well and he missed the schedule of napping.
Hope the 7 tips above could help you in Teaching the Routines to Baby. Good luck…..